WHAT IS VALE VENUES?
“Bringing the best films to the Vale of Glamorgan”
Vale Venues is an exciting new pilot project which will see the development of a partnership between eleven mixed arts centres and community cinemas in the Vale of Glamorgan.
Taking inspiration from Off Y Grid, the project was first trialed with Film Hub Wales, in the summer of 2018 at the Barry Weekender. As part of BAFTA Cymru’s Cinemor, the Vale Venues launched shared marketing, alongside a screening of Welsh made film, Human Traffic. The project will be coordinated by the Memo Arts Centre, in Barry in 2018.
WHAT ARE THE PROJECT AIMS?
By working together, the network aim to generate greater awareness of each venue’s programme, particularly for rural and community audiences that might not otherwise visit their spaces to watch film. Their main goals are to:
- Support, encourage and enable collective marketing approaches,
- Share and develop programming ideas,
- Build partnerships to deliver a county-wide focus on cinema,
- Build greater audience engagement,
- Develop exciting film projects,
- Provide rewarding cinema experiences for all ages,
- Create paths for inclusion and remove the barriers of isolation for many audience members,
- Engage with the broadest audience in all our communities throughout the Vale of Glamorgan.
The Vale Venues Coordinator will start with series of ice-breaker projects in 2018, that would provide participating venues with the opportunity to establish workable models, and deliver a film festival in 2019.
The network will explore feasibility for a film festival that encompasses and celebrates film under the theme ‘Discovery’, the Wales’s Government tourism theme 2019. It would include unique cinema events across the venues, spanning from summer to Christmas 2019.
The venues involved in the project include:
Barn At West Farm
Colwinston Community Cinema
Cowbridge Big Screen
Dinas Powys Community Cinema
Llancarfan Community Cinema
Memo Arts Centre Barry
Peterston Village Hall
Snowcat Cinema At Penarth Pier Pavilion
St Donats Arts Centre
Sully Community Cinema
Ystradowen Community & Sports Association
For more information about Vale Venues screenings and venues head over to their Facebook page or check the Barry Memo page.